Friday, June 6, 2014

t-3 days to hermosillo!!!


This is officially my first post and last weekend at home before the exchange! May 28th was our YAEP graduation, which culminated our training sessions and fundraising events and convened all of the Youth Ambassadors, their families, and program officials for the last time. In our 3 5-hr training sessions, we prepared for any situation we might encounter and met with the City Committies and representatives. They also gave us some travel knickknacks and an American flag, which I was excited about since I've never had a flag before (even though it's just in my closet now).

We also wrapped up the hosting calendar last week so we will be prepared when we return from abroad. Emily, mack, seth, elena and I met last weekend to plan the American Holidays event for the foreigners...all YAs are responsible for an event. Hopefully we will give them a good taste of American traditions on New Years, Halloween, and July 4th!

Anyway, I have been Facebook messaging Zyanya a lot lately—I have no clue how to say her name, but she seems so nice and amazing and I can't wait to meet her! She is almost 18 and has a sister who is 19 (for some reason, I thought she was younger, so I accidentally bought her a dream catcher, but maybe she'll like it anyway. i think it's cute). Zyanya speaks about as much english as I speak spanish, so hopefully we'll both be bilingual by the end of the summer! Hopefully the Mexicans will speak to me in spanish...and I'm sure they'll laugh at my attempts to speak spanish, but we'll see.

I can't wait to see Hermosillo! I've only been to Cuernavaca, Tepoztlán, Morelos and Mexico City, but it will probably have its own character just like US cities. Alex and Anna, who went to hermosillo last year and the year before, have emphasized two things: the amazing food and the disgusting heat. I don't see how it could be hotter than the oven we already live in, but at least I won't need Chapstick in the humidity!

I doesn't seem like packing will be too much of a hassle, the only problems so far have been a) losing my debit card, which cost me like $30 of allowance to fedex a new one in time, and b) having to run to a new eye doctor on tuesday since the other one wouldn't prescribe my contacts since he was afraid I might get an eye infection in mexico and "wouldn't risk his license because a girl didn't want to wear glasses." as if there are no eye doctors in Mexico and I'm not living in a tent. I wonder what he'll say when he finds out I went to another doctor haha. Anyway, hopefully tomorrow I will have some time to go shopping for a dress for the prom that we will be attending in hermosillo—I bet I can find a great discount ! And I should probably bring some snacks just incase I'm hungry before dinner which apparently isn't until 10pm or after we get home at 3am (if the rumors are true, they party a lot!) I think we will be staying in Kino Bay by the beach for a week, so I should probably pack swim suits, but I don't know if I will even touch the water, because I heard there are tons of jellyfish. But I feel safer now that I have been advised to wear water shoes (thanks for the genius tip, dad) just in case they don't like to sting legs, only feet. I'm sure it will be a blast with or without the jellyfish, as long as they don't have as many scorpions as we do!

The photo is from graduation. Hopefully the next pic will be with our counterparts!

I hope you enjoy my blog! I will try to post again on sunday before I leave, and will try to write each night. Feel free to comment :)

hasta la vista! -rae

No comments:

Post a Comment