Sunday, June 22, 2014

FIESTA!

Tonight was the school prom! It was super fun, and I'm so glad we were here to experience it! The actual party is held by the school at an off-campus location—the same place as the ceremony—from 9pm-2am. To be casually late, one would arrive at 9:30. Not the Silvas!! 10:15pm: Zyanya is finishing Sarhoma's makeup upstairs, Mario is getting dressed, and Macrina is preparing sandwitches and food for dinner. Well, we weren't exactly early, but better late than never,  right?! Typical. 

As we all fumbled with our belongings and somehow were secure in the car, I nudged Zyanya to move so I could buckle my seatbelt, jokingly (but honestly) saying "I don't want to die." In response, Sarhoma said, "you don't have to worry about dying with my dad driving." To that, I told her I completely trusted her father, but that I was actually wearing my seatbelt because of the other reckless, drunk (or not) drivers on the road on a Saturday night. She acknowledged my point, but I think that was the first time she had ever considered that the biggest threat came from the uncontrollable variable on the road. And it seems like being in a foreign country has made me impressed with American drivers'-safety awarness education! 

Anywayyy, when we arrived, the scene was a mixture of chaos and glamour. There were parents filtering into the building with bags-full of food and flowers, and there were students in BEAUTIFUL dresses floating around the lawn with their adorable dates, taking photos and greeting friends with hugs, kisses, and laughter. I mingled with Kristina and her date for awhile while Zyanya was in the bathroom, which was fun (hanging out, not going to the bathroom!). Kristina decided only to speak to me in spanish to help (MAKE) me learn, and her boyfriend was super nice even though we couldn't understand each other very well. We met up with some other friends, which was fun, but also awkward when I didn't know what to say to people I would be introduced to. They were generally super sweet and fun, though. But, I did receive a few "what are you doing here" glances with my light skin and short dress. 90% of the girls were wearing long dresses, which were crazy beautiful and classy (I can't even explain!!!), and one would think the model agency organized the event. 

After I sat down with Macrina and ate for awhile, Macrina took Laurel and me to dance with her and mario. It was so much fun!!! I am so lucky to have such a kind and fun host family. We danced there with them for about 10 minutes (it was terribly embarassing I'll be honest we can't dance to their music) before we headed outside to avoid further humiliation ahhh! We ran into haley, pamela, and luisa in the bathroom, and haley, laurel and I hung out for awhile after. They're such great girls, and I'm also so lucky to be in Hermosillo spending these three weeks with such amazing friends. After awhile, we went back to Zyanya's family's table and chatted. I went over to the other side ot the table to meet Kristina's parents, who were also adorable. Her mom, who I was talking to, is German, and we had a really nice conversation before they went back to dance. It reminded me of a huge bm party! 

Laurel, Haley, and I tried to go blend in on the dance floor, but I'm just going to say it didn't work out, and I'm not a super shy person, but we ended up practically running back to the table. OH MY. And yes, they all danced in rows. The music was American at first, but then changed to traditional Mexican tunes, attracting parents from all across the room lol. But the kids danced anyway, which was nice! Kristina's mom said there are some schools that have the proms with the parents, and some without them, it just depends. 

Well, I'm really tired. I guess I could finish this now, but it will probably get progressively more boring as I fall asleep, so buenas días, since it's technically sunday now! I'll post again and put prom pics soon!! after i sleep :)

1 comment:

  1. Rae! I love your posts! So fun and funny! It sounds like you really enjoyed prom, and I love how much you are immersed in this culture!

    ReplyDelete