Monday, June 9, 2014

el día más largaaa

wow, I can't believe it is before 10...I'm exhausted! the combo of eating good food at random (well, for me) times, speaking spanglish while listening to and translating it, and being plopped into a new culture have shocked me into a state of interminable drowsiness. I don't even know where to start! 

During the school year, my day goes as follows in changing patterns: wake up, eat, school, sleep, study, eat, sleep. This cycle made me forget what it is like to just relax, but I may have learned more lounging on a couch in a dim, warm room in one afternoon than I ever will in my eat, sleep, sleep on a book cycle. 

We also listened to different types of music, and Z told me she would teach me how to dance to the different types. They have all the same types we have, but they don't seem to be self conscious about the type of music they appreciate, and they apparently dance to many styles at their parties. By the way, they sing all the time, and when I first drove home with Macrina from the airport, the first thing she did before talking was turn up the radio and sing...ahh love them! 

In the phoenix airport, I ate a bagel, assuming lunch would happen pronto. No though. After Z woke up and changed out of her school uniform, we headed downstairs for "la comida" which is lunch but they don't call it that even though there's a word for lunch in spanish. This meal was at 3:30pm (which is usually my siesta time when I disappear for an hour to sleep or read). I was happy when we sat down, because I was awkwardly trying to look useful when they wouldn't let me help. The meal was an amazing warm vegetable soup (the mother held up each vegie as she tried to pronounce them in english of course repeated after z's sister) which was just like yours, mom, but better. KIDDING ;) and we also had chicken and salad which they all mixed together to make chicken salad woah. That was great, too, and the water was not water, but some sort of fruit juice that was delicious even though they drink it warm! The mother, Macrina, explained that the food will be a mix of southern mexican and hermosillo cuisine because they are originally from the south. 

Then, Mario, her dad, came home (about 4:00). He greeted me (xo) as usual and welcomed me even though I was already in his home. They're all so sweet! He commented on the fact that they started early without him, so of course the mother conveniently blamed it on me, saying that I was hungry. But maybe I just looked like death after I tried the dipping sauce that had invisible flames coming out of it. Mario was nice to have around, because each time they would get on a tangent and all start laughing and yelling, he would explain to me what happened or the phrase that I missed. They're all such happy light-hearted people! 

Next came dessert (sorry i'm still on food it was just so cool). The sister, Sarhóma, brought out "jello" that was def not jello I've had it before and this was strange. But I tried it and it was ok! Super rich mango flavor so I only ate a few bites as everyone engulfed it. The richness of this city makes phoenix seem so washed out!!

Then, Luisa and Haley showed up (they were supposed to come at 4 but came "mexico time" at 4:40. But I guess if everyone is on mexico time then it all lines up! they brought a really nice friend who had applied for the program but wasn't selected because there was only room for three. Maybe it's better she's not participating, though, because she's only in it for the guys (she seemed disappointed they sent three girls, and wanted to see the pics of the guys in the program. Also, she proceeded to give us a detailed rundown of every guy we may come across). I guess it can get boring to be stuck home all summer, but honestly. Later (four hours later) when we went for yogurt, she abruptly left around 8;30 to prepare for her final exam that she non-chalantly needs to pass to enter the university. Luisa, Pamela, and Zyanya take humanities, and the friend takes math and science. 

Snack was another story. After we hung out in the same spot for 4 hours to wait for a movie that we were going to see, we went out to a place called The Patio and decided to skip the movie. It took us 20 minutes to order, because between translation and indecisiveness, it took awhile. Plus, delicious-looking drinks kept appearing and changing our minds. Zyanya wouldn't let me pay, and when I saw 30 as the price, I freaked out, not realizing it was pesos (which I called euros by accident whoops). 

I ate an Icee with a scoop of ice cream in it! It was new for me, and we all tried each other's to learn the flavors. Zyanya ordered a spicy icee with lemon ice cream (whatever floats her boat, literally) and after everyone tried it, I felt pressured to also. After I almost spit it out (there's no describing the taste of hot chilly icee omg) and everyone was laughing at me, I had to try not to make z feel bad with my gagging, especially since she wasn't understanding the convo in english and probs felt left out. So anyway, they don't drive and the friend had already taken off, so we waited awhile for Luisa's mom to come, at which point the 6 of us squeezed into 4 seats (mom, you're not reading this!!) it was very safe, don't worry. In the mean time, a bunch of kids from their school strolled in in groups. I noticed that when an adorable couple whom they knew walked in to order, the girlfriend stood by the counter near the window watching her boyfriend order, pay for, and hold the door for her, which surprised me. The girls said that when groups go out, the boys will pay for the girls even if they are just friends, which I found interesting and again, surprising. 

Last thing I want to remember is the questions the friend was asking us at Z's house. She asked (directly what we and americans think) about Obama, Miley cyrus, Mexico, Hermosillo, school, ugh just a ton of interesting things she wanted to know. 

Ok, now i'm super tired, and we're getting up early to run! last thing..they gave me a beautiful gift of hand-made sandals and earrings, so I gave them my gifts that seemed so wimpy next to that, but I think they really appreciated it! Buenas noches! I will try to post pics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment