Sunday, June 15, 2014

1/3 through!

It seems like we just got here, but it has already been a whole week!!! Today we woke up at 11 (no 7am run but whatever it's sunday!) and ate breadkast at noon. Pamela and Haley slept over, which was fun, but it still is hard to have any group conversation with the language barrier. but zyanya is starting to speak english more and is asking if she is saying things right. It's funny when pamela corrects her english, because it reminds me of when Charlotte and I try to speak to someone in spanish and combine our vocab to form a sentence! I am really surprised by how many teens speak english, and also by the amount that have been to the us...mainly to AZ Mills to go shopping :). 

I am starting to get more used to the meal pattern here! This is my feeling: the breakfast can be any time from 8-1, lunch is 1-4, and dinner is 8-11. I also think lunch is the biggest meal, which is usually my smallest meal, and we skipped dinner last night, which is unheard of in the US! I thought I was getting acclimated to the spicy foods, but I actually think they are adjusting to me by not feeding me spices haha.

For breakfast, Macrina had prepared a bowl of fruit (apple, banana, papaya, and something orange, chopped up for each of us with yogurt and cereal/granola on the table. She also pours hand-squeezed OJ into the bowl which is really good! I mixed it all together, even though I usually eat everything apart. They all had eggs with chicken sausage, but zyanya made me a sandwitch instead since I don't like saussage...she is so nice! We also had chocolate milk, which I didn't think was  athing here, but idk why I would assume americans are the only ones who drink chocolate milk! 

After pamela and laurel left, we watched France win a World Cup match and they (of course always so sweet) offered their phone to me to make a Father's Day call because I wished Mario a happy Father's Day. 

I think we are just hanging out today. We are all downstairs, because the AC isn't on upstairs (they really know how to conserve!). It is seriously so hot out though (108º today) that I might melt and had enjoyed looking at Emma's blog (LOVE YOU EMMA!) from Ireland because the climate and lushous landscape looked lovely. I also like reading the other blogs to see what everyone is up to!! I can't wait to meet all the counterparts. 

Anyway, I don't think there are many Jewish people in Hermosillo. Some people ask me about my religion, and it is fun to share when I have an answer, but today, Mario asked me if the Jewish people are originally from Israel (which I should probs know) but I told him where my family is from in europe and that I would check. It's cool to be able to share and learn about other cultures. 

Speaking of that, I meant to post this awhile ago, but Mario (z's father) and I just spoke for about an hour and half, and I just learned so much about the culture here and his experience in Canada. This family is so nice! alrightt I probs won't post again tonight after dinner unless something miraculous happens that I need to document in five hours! 

Miss you guys, 2 more weeks! Give delilah a kiss for me when you guys get home;) 

buenas tardes! 

1 comment:

  1. Your great- and great-great-grandparents immigrated from Russia, Ukraine, Poland, and Austria to the U.S. Some of our relatives have immigrated to Israel in the last century. Possibly our ancestors originally migrated from Israel to Eastern Europe hundreds of years ago, but I cannot confirm that. There is no way to do that. It's hard enough figuring out where they all went during and after the holocaust. We generally know that they were from those countries, but there really isn't adequate documentation. We do know we lost many relatives in the holocaust, which is very sad, of course.

    ReplyDelete