Saturday, June 21, 2014

continued from yesterday! sorry! and today actually...FELICIDADES !

After lunch, we finished the movie and cleaned up. Then, zyanya and I finally decided to make the cake mix. We had a few problems (to be expected with me in the kitchen), but the cake turned out fine...yay! We needed to mix three ingredients total: the mix, water, and butter. The measuring cup she gave me for the water was measured in increments of cups, starting at 1, but the recipe only called for .5 cups. So that's where it started off, with my tilting a huge jug of water over on my knees on the floor into a measuring cup, at which point I was guessing the amount. By the way, none of the families drink tap water, they only buy the huge jugs and use them for drinking and cooking (but it was still full on the floor). Then, when we took out the butter, we realized we were short 1.5 tablespoons and  hadn't yet buttered the pan ooops. Then, after we finally finished, Macrina walked in. Idk if she didn't realize the point of the cakemix is that you don't have to add ingredients or if she likes to get creative, but she began running around the kitchen and handing us stuff to add to the batter. Well, whatever, because it turned out fine!! 

Then, we were late. We're always late. We sit around all day taking our time, and the next thing I know, were making a cake and the Mass for graduation starts in 20 minutes lol. I don't care about being late here, since I don't know anyone, but it is stressful to walk into events that have already started and not be able to find Laurel and Haley ahh! It was a nice ceremony, though. I understood about 40% of it when I was listening, which was about 5% of the time. So, in other words, it seemed like a nice ceremony, because I don't really know what was happening. I just caught key words out of those two hours like 'family, parents, thank you, jesus, graduation, opportunities, god, lucky, school' you name the rest. Poor laurel and haley seemed so bored...Haley gave me a mint that she was stashing from Laurel's purse, and every time I looked over, one of them was opening a new mint. They were good mints, at least, maybe I'll eat an altoid now. 

ANYWAY, it was totally dejavu (spelling whatever) because I was wearing the same dress that I came here in and Zyanya was wearing her school uniform that she wore on the first day, and we went to the same ice cream shop (the patio) after the Mass! Laurel, on the other hand, was underdressed, because Pamela sometimes decides to with hold important information...like the fact that we were going to a nice service (jk love you, laurel;)).  On our way to The Patio, Macrina picked up Kristina, the one who runs with us, and we all went together. I had two scoops of vanilla ice cream, which was delishous, especially since we didn't eat dinner yesterday (it's so random and confusing!). The title of the last post refers to the fact that we made that cake and never tried it :/. all I know is that whenever I bake at home, half the batter is gone before it enters the oven (that includes fending charlotte off), and the other half is gone within the 5 minutes after it comes out. It's fine, though, because I'm sure we'll get to try some. Actually they offered it to me for breakfast, but I had already eaten the regular fruit/yogurt/sandwitch (which I don't like but I can't bring myself to tell her I'm don't like the sandwitch with the weird cream because I feel bad!), so I wasn't hungry. 

This morning was the graduation ceremony. We were late, of course. Pamela called to ask where we were sitting, and we were still in the house! Everyone was freaking out, but after a rollercoaster car ride, we landed safely at the graduation (which was well underway) and found seats. It was a really nice tradition that the parents sit on either side of their senior, and the other relatives sit apart. When the student is called up for the diploma or for an award, the parents go with, only they wait off-stage for their child to shake hands with all the administrators. I found the ceremony to be wwayyyy too long, but it was very nice, and I'm sure it would have been nicer had I understood more. Well, that's not quite true, ceremonies are boring even in English...especially in english. Sarhoma immediately took out her cellphone to text, and laurel and haley were playing a stupid game for awhile. Most people seemed pretty bored, but it was truly nice, and the speeches were great. 

Then, we took more pictures and split off from the others to head to lunch. THIS WAS THE MOST AMAZING FOOD I HAVE HAD IN MEXICO! We pulled up, tired, hot and hungry, to a tiny vegetarian restaraunt and were luckily able to get a table. They served us juice, which they always call water, which was more like a fruit smoothie it was so delicious. I finished mine as to not waste it, but they kept refilling it, so finally I gave up. First, we had a salad. Mexican food that looks boring is authentic, and mexican food that looks authentic is outstanding! The salad seemed boring and drab, but I ate it all right away, without seeming famished (well, that's what I thought but I probably did look famished). We were then given pea and barley soup WHICH WAS SO AMAZING!!! And I didn't have to worry about it having meat, because it was a vegetarian restaraunt YES . That's when I was full. But, next came a veggieburger which had lettuce, sprouts, and sauce. Ok, here's the thing. In america, people are obsessed with sauce..they drown everything in sauce until it is disgusting (in my opinion, sorry dad). Here, on the other hand, they smear on not mayo. not mustard, no. But a flavorful mixture of ingredients that just call out 'healthy' and 'delicious' as it's being chewed. Also, they brought sides of hummus which was super-delish. I really appreciated that food. I was so full at that point, that it was crazy, but we're probably not eating dinner, so it was either be sick of food or of hunger. They brought a small dessert (by the way, there are only like two options for each course) that I didn't really like, but the other one looked better. It was a pear slice in pear juice, and the other one that looked better was a rice mix, but I wasn't hungry so it didn't really matter anyway. Well, enough about food. 

We went back to the Silva home, and everyone took a nap. Sarhoma helped me upload my photos, and zyanya slept a lot. I didn't really sleep, but it was a relaxing afternoon, anyway. Zyanya and Macrina just left for zyanya's hair and makeup appt. Wait, nevermind, she just walked in with her hair curled, so the stylist must have come here.  I should go down, because the air is off, and it's getting hot!! ughhh summer. Zyanya's neighbor (omg i think I forgot to mention that hmm) made her a necklace for prom (well she bought it) which zyanya is now doubting to wear. I honestly agree with Z and think it's too big and bulky, but I bet she wears it, which will be pretty, either way. 

I'm so excited for prom! the whole family is going, and I can't wait to see how it will be. I better get ready, byeee :)


No comments:

Post a Comment