Tuesday, June 24, 2014

días 15 y 16!

I didn't get to post last night, because it was late! Here's a synopsis of what happened:

Yesterday morning: I read but was very very bored. Everyone was working and cleaning, but they don't let me help!!
Yesterday 1pm: mexico soccer game came on. it was a really frustrating first hour after a few hand-balls from croatia that weren't called! But then mexico scored three goals in a row, so the silvas were super hyped! Right after the third goal, the electricity in the house cut out and so did the tv signal! it was crazy, but super fun. We were all laughing about how animated the mexico coach is compared especially to the plastic croatian coach. 
Yesterday 4pm: we ate a delicious traditional mexican meal that Macrina cooked for lunch that she wanted me to try. I unfortunately didn't have enough storage on my phone to take any photos, but it was a tostito cracker of about a 2cm radius smeared with beans, to which we added lettuce and meat (chicken in my case) and sprinkled cheese. They also added chilies and sour cream! So good oh my gosh...I hope she knows how much I liked it, because I didn't eat a second one since the soup was also filling. It was a super rich chicken broth with rice! Lunch was nice, and it's fun to be with the whole family. Even though she doesn't speak english, macrina always makes an effort to explain jokes and conversations that I don't understand. 
Yesterday 6pm: zyanya and I left with her parents to go sightseeing at sunset (well we would have gone earlier if it weren't for the heat!!). We went first to Mario's workplace, which I believe is the federal courthouse, but we were just there so he could pick something up. We stopped at a number of government buildings to look around and take pictures. Much like phoenix, most of the buildings here were built within the last 100 or so years, so it's not like we were visiting ancient castles, but it was cool and fun anyway (cool as in neat not as in cold). We also stopped in an old church, and since they are catholic, they gave me a tour and explained the different saints and pointed out ceremonial items. We talk a lot about religion, which is fun and awesome to learn about new religions while teaching others about judaism. Macrina is familiar with a small fine arts college in the federal area, so she showed us around there. Afterward, we grabbed some respados (icies) from the place we always go to get food and snacks (and those bags of tostitos!). There, we ran into christina and her friends. They were all very nice. 

That's it for yesterday! We just hung around with some friends last night, which was fun, because some of them I hadn't met yet, even though it is cool how we've become closer with some of their friends. 

Today, all we have done is eaten breakfast! Instead of a sandwitch today (thank goodness I was feeling so guilty about not eating the meat and couldn't bring myself to complain), Macrina made a traditional mexican dish called nevermind I don't know, but it was made of something nevermind ahh I have no idea it was just a bit spicy and had a mushy texture but delicious flavor. If i had to guess, I would say it was soggy chips with salsa and tortilla and other stuff? She said she only put in 3 chilies, but for mario she adds 10 holy cow. I would probably choke! That would be an easy way to assassinate me! 

After we ate, instead of cleaning up right away, Macrina and Zyany and I chatted about all sorts of things including the program and differences between mexico and the usa. We laughed a lot, and I learned some interesting things. Macrina loves to tell me about Tasco, the town she is from, which is a touristy tropical area near cuernavaca, where Zyanya is from. They wish I could have stayed in Cuerna with them, since there are apparently sooo many things to do! I feel bad that they feel bad because they think I am bored since there isn't much to do here in Hermo. I hope they know what a great time I'm having when we are doing things, even just chatting. I hope someday I can visit them in cuernavaca!! Zyanya will be attending the university there next year, and will stay with her grandma while helping to watch for her younger cousins. I'm very excited for her, and I can't wait to hear about it. The girl I mentioned a bunch of times, Kristina, who ran with us and whose mother I spoke to at prom, is going to Germany (woah almost wrote Alemania) next year to study, which I think is hard for zyanya, knowing she will be away from her friends. But they're great girls and will make friends fast I'm sure! On our way to the park this morning, Macrina said it makes her sad to go that route, because it's the way she would drive zyanya and sarhoma to high school and then walk in the park which is just directly across the street. I definately know that feeling, and I think she will miss Zyanya. Anyway, we spoke about a bunch of other things, and if I remember something interesting, I will then try to remember to mention it. Oh, yeah. Ok so we were talking about Hermosillo's close proximity to the USA and phoenix, and how the us has influenced hermosillo and the difference between hermosillo and the heart of mexico. Macrina explained that Hermosillo is more of a sleepy little city, and that I must go down south to the corazon of mexico to really get a sense of the land and the people of this great country. After Mexico's futbol victory yesterday, we saw hundreds of fanatic citizens storm the central plaza in Mexico City in celebration from the television. I think they wished we could have been there to celebrate, too, and so did I, but we had a fun time, and I could feel the patriotism in hermosillo, too. 

Now it's 1pm! OMG! I am going to do something productive now, and I'll post my pics once I upload them, but I might wait until I get home to avoid inconveniencing sarhoma or zyanya. Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment