Saturday, June 28, 2014

Friday continued

Whoops, I meant to finish friday earlier, but I became distracted and ended up doing my laundry and packing my suitcase (which wasn't too hard, since I never really unpacked)! Now, we're watching Up in spanish while waiting for the pizza we ordered for lunch (yes, it is 4:40), which actually became a bit of a hassle, since they're used to piling meat toppings on, and all I can eat is cheese with vegatables. Apparently it's uncommon here to just eat cheese pizza, so Mario compromised by adding tomato and pinapple with extra cheese. I guess I will have my first pineapple pizza now! It was nice of them to order that, I never knew pizza-eating norms were variable from country to country!! 

Now for yesterday: we started off the day early, leaving for a flower factory, La Fama de Molina (i think), at 8:50 for our info session and tour. The factory is the oldest in Hermosillo, and is the largest flower-supplier in the area. We learned that it even supplies flour to Cali and Az. Anyway, the whole experience from start to end was amazing, and I think it definately ranks at the top of the list for my favorite activities here. We met the Hermosillo committeman whose family is an owner of the company, and who is friends with Anna Elena. We took a tour of the whole factory, and were able to see the old machinery that will become a museum in 5 years, and the new machinery as it was producing and refining, packaging and wrapping the flour. IT WAS SO COOL! And hot, super hot and embarrassing how much I was sweating ahh! The tour ended in the school where the factory educates people to work in the bakeries of supermarkets and employs adults with down syndrome and women who are either abused...darn I can't remember. There, we didn't get to see anyone baking the pastries that they use the flower for, but they allowed us to try different pastries that had just been baked, and we also took some back with us. I have definately not tasted many pastries quite as amazing as those. 

When we got back, we hung out for awhile, and I did some work, until we left the house at 5:30 with Laurel and Pamela, to head to one of Luisa's mom's friend's houses on a ranch to go swimming and hang out. We drove out of the city the same way we did to go to Ures, the pueblo where we ate lunch last week, but when we were turning off the highway onto a dirt road that leads to the ranch house, Macrina accidentally turned too early, and we unfortunately edned up driving down the dirt road into a ditch! It was actually a wash, with a steep dirt road cutting across it, but it was too steep to drive out, so after trying to push it for awhile, and then again with the help of Luisa's mom and her friend, they finally took laurel and me to the ranch and waved down a tow truck! What bad luck! It was funny, though (not so much for macrina ;( or for her car), and we were joking that it builds character and creates some funny memories, which it definately did! 

Laurel and I were still able to hang out with Haley and Luisa's family at the ranch home. It was very beautiful, house and pool, and they had a newborn horse and an adorable dog. It was a really nice time, and I'm so glad we were able to go! 

Luisa's mom then dropped Laurel and me off at Zyanya's to change for the going-away party Zyanya and Pamela were throwing (zyanya to cuernavaca and pamela moving to Chihuahua). It was really fun, and sad at the same time, as their high school chapter is ending and this is their last party all together:(. Although, tonight, there might be a surprise going-away party for Cristina, who is moving for a year to germany! I can't believe it! WEll, that's it for yesterday, and today was pretty relaxing, not much happening. We may head to Liverpool so I can buy a mexico shirt. Adios, amigos :)

this is the beautiful ranch home



No comments:

Post a Comment