Wednesday, June 18, 2014

6 horas de fútbol, peliculas, y comida!! DÍA 9

Last night, I finished my post, and when I went to upload the photos, the post disappeared ahhh! So here it is :).

Definition of a fanatic: a person motivated by irrational enthusiasm (as for cause)
Example: the silva family during a Mexico World Cup soccer game

I meant to wake up early to run around their gated community because Macrina couldn't go to the park, but ended up deciding to run in the evening instead. umm...LAZY! But it's summer, I'll survive, and it was a good workout in the end. 

We ate breakfast of sliced fruit (except no mango, pear, and papaya this time :( ), yogurt, and cereal in a bowl and half a sandwitch at about 10am. It sounds like a lot, but we really don't eat again until 4pm, so it's then or never! Here they don't snack, so it's more of a fasting/feasting schedule, which I am not used to. We had a nice breakfast...we're getting better at communicating, but as Zyanya's english improves, I don't get to practice my spanish as much! Selfish, yes, but I reallyy do want to be fluent when I leave in 1.5 weeks!! After we cleaned up, well after Zyanya cleaned up (she never lets me help) and I shuffled around trying to make myself useful, we hung out for awhile on the couches and I did some math.

We were soo bored, and couldn't come up with anything to do in the house until the Mexico v Brazil game. When I woke up that morning, my naive self was unaware of the importance of the day, but as Zyanya gave me a Mexico soccer shirt and face paint, I soon realized this was no regular match! As we watched the program leading into the game, the house started to fill up; first came Sarhoma from school with 10 friends and popcorn, then came her dad, Mario, from work (he misses work for this!), and lastly came Macrina from work, all of us (14 hyped up Mexicans and one confused american) packed into the kitchen-family room of their townhouse with our eyes darting back and forth across the screen, and ocassionally to the popcorn bowl. Mario gave Ron (the dog) a handful of popcorn! He loved it, of course, and is so cute. I still miss delilah, though. 

The game was great. Mexico held its ground, and ended in a tie, which was weird for me, since I didn't think that could happen. Mexico's goalie was amazing and so adorable, and I loved to see all the camaraderie of the players and the fans. It's awesome how a soccer game can be such a heavy influence in a whole country's patriotism. When we went out later, one in every 5 people was wearing a mexico shirt! I have so much respect for the athletes who love the sport and who come together to represent their country. 

After the game, the house became quiet again, so in the spirit of fútbol, we watched Bend it like Beckham (one of my favorites!), and I couldn't believe sarhoma and zyanya had never seen  it before. We paused it to eat lunch, the whole family together, which was a delicious meal of meat schnitzel, salad, and DELICIOUS pasta soup! We had a really fun time, and I am so lucky to be living with such a welcoming, kind, funny, and generous family. When Zyanya was cleaning the dishes, she was singing (well, she's always singing) and we were all  laughing about it. Then we finished the movie; we were all watching, but I think mario wasn't understanding, because he fell asleep. Or maybe he was so relieved about and exhausted from the mexico win.

If you were wondering, we didn't have any avocado for lunch, because when Macrina sent us to the store for meat, beans, and avocado, we came back with meat, beans, and popsickles. oops! 

By then, it was 6:36 (but my watch is late so maybe + or - 20 minutes) so I went for a run around the neighborhood. The complex has about 50 houses in the formation of a loop and a cul de sac. The loop slopes up on each side to a huge hill,  with one steep side and one winding side. I ran for awhile around the loop and then in the cul de sac, and then just ran the hill. When I first stepped out, I thought ron was the only dog in the neighborhood, barking by himself at nothing, but as I ran past each house, dogs came running out from under cars and trucks, and were barking at me from behind gates. I think I woke up all the canines in the neighborhood, and some even followed me part of the way! I guess they don't usually see runners. Anyway, it was nice to see the other streets, and I took some pics of the pretty view. After about half an hour, the sun had set, and my ankles started to bleed again (ughh) from my shoes even though I was wearing better socks, but I really wanted to run up the hill one more time (i have no idea why it mattered), so I did and then had to run on my toes. But to get back down the hill, I had to run backwards, to avoid killing my ankles. I can't even imagine what the neighbors were thinking of me at that point...hopefully they didn't notice the gringo running backwards down the hill. 

As soon as I walked back into the house, Macrina pointed out that Luisa and Pamela had pulled up, so I went outside to say hi before showering. as i was halfway down the driveway, i realized it was a guy, and not knowing who he was or if he was coming to our house or a neighbor's I awkwardly turned around and went back inside, because when I get nervous, my spanish faulters, and I didn't want to end up embarassing myself more than I usually do! It turned out to be sarhoma's friend, who later took us to the market and to the plaza. Pamela and laurel were there when I came out of the shower, and we all hung out for awhile before we went for dinner at about 10pm. We had the same thing that we ate for lunch before Kino Bay, and had the same really refreshing grape drink. Sometimes, when I'm in the house, it gets so hot that I think I'm going to faint, so I really enjoyed that cold drink!! 

The plaza was really fun, and much quieter than it was on sunday night. We took a picture and hung out. We walked to a quieter corner, where we saw a face in the window of a dark building, so we went over and were laughing, because it was only a smudge in the window hahaa. There were a lot of dogs there, and they were making fun of me for not wanting to pet them. they were really cute and all, but I don't know where they've been, whatever. 

Anyway, this morning, we ate and watched a cake-making competition on the tv for a few minutes before pamela's mom picked us up and took us to their house. today will be fun, I will post tonight!! Tenga un buen día!

No comments:

Post a Comment