Sunday, June 15, 2014

Días 5 y 6!

It's 2:30am and I have two days to cover oh no! Yesterday I went running in the morning with Christina and Zyanya in the park, and afterward we showered and got ready to leave for Kino Bay that afternoon. Kino bay is about a 1.5hr drive from hermosillo, and is a beautiful beach on the east shore of the Bay of California / Cortez Sea maybe I'm actually not sure of the name, but across from Baha Cali! 

We set out at 12, and were dropped off at the tailor shop where Luisa and her mother were getting Luisa's prom dress hemmed. Her dress is pretty, but on Luisa it looks just georgous!!! I was surprised to see that the tailor was just bending down with a pair of sissors and cutting (seemingly haphazardly) the bottom of the dress without measurements or any of the powder stuff that they use in phoenix. I doubted her accuracy, but it actually turned out great, and it was fast. 

While we were waiting, two ladies who were friends of Luisa's mom walked in. They were super friendly and outgoing! We spoke in spanish about Phoenix, the usa, and mexico. I always try to keep a few ideas in mind for topics to converse about with the Mexican adults haha. One of the women was wearing a Mexican soccer-world cup shirt, which i not only loved because the shirt was cute, but because of the open nationalism and pride. This reminds me! Yesterday morning, as I was brushing my hair, I heard yelling and cheering from downstairs, and when I poked my head into the kitchen, the whole family was at the breakfast table eating and cheering intensely for Mexico! They have so much spirit and enjoy the game (but I'm glad mexico won, since I think the mood would've taken a hit if it were a loss! Kind of like how I mope around when Federer loses.). They even have a World Cup jacket for their dog, Ron! Que padree!

Now I'm really tired, but will do my best. When we got to kino, it was a quaint street lined with stylish but modest little buildings that were hotels, homes, and stores. We found a hotel room, and hung by the pool before heading to the beach. It was a super fun time with the families, and my spanish has improved tremendously. I feel bad for Haley and Laurel, since it seems like people judge them for not knowing spanish, but the parents are always trying to teach us and broaden our vocabulary.

For dinner last night, we headed back and forth between the three hotel rooms to try the different foods each host mother had made. Macrina cooked a delicious (don't know how to say this) mix of meat and vegetables ontop of a hard tortilla! it was new to me, but delicious. Also, they often drink their soda warm, which scares me much. But I am getting used to it. 

Today we hung out in the morning, ate lunch at a restaraunt on the beach, collected jellyfish in a bottle (well mostly Z did!) and drove back. It has been a great weekend! I will work on setting aside more time to write and upload the photos ! Also, I'm starting to recognize the hispanic songs which is fun :)

adiossssss! 

1 comment: